Part-Time Position, up to 25 Hours/Week
Pay Rate: $24-26 / hour
Start Date: December 1, 2023 (approximately)
OpStart provides startups with essential, reliable, and scalable business administration solutions at affordable rates. Our team of back-office professionals partner with the management teams of startup companies to provide financial operations, including accounting, finance, tax, and back-office needs. We give entrepreneurs the freedom to focus on what matters most. OpStart is a startup itself. Founded in late 2020 in South Bend, IN, we have scaled rapidly in our first years of operation. Our early investors have founded or backed unicorns like Cameo, Chime, DocuSign, Looker, and more.
OpStart is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All positions are currently remote, and there is no specific requirement around location for placement of this position.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Tax Analyst at OpStart, you will be a key member of the tax team, with responsibilities for coordinating tax information and documents, preparing tax forms, and prepping tax returns. You will investigate tax notices, register companies with state entities and coordinate efforts for major tax filings such as 1099s, Delaware Franchise Tax and State and Local Tax Returns.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist clients with meeting various tax obligations (sales tax, withholding tax, etc.).
- Assist with filing sales taxes, 1099s, 1120s, corporate taxes, 1065 partnership taxes, franchise tax returns, etc.
- Assist with state payroll registrations and payroll tax setups.
- Assist with tax process by gathering client data, building, and reviewing tax organizers, and preparing reports and other schedules.
- Assist in the preparation of federal, state, local, and partnership and corporate tax returns.
- Manage the collections of necessary information from clients and our internal accounting teams to complete filings.
- Communicate with clients regarding status, data needs, etc. Provide support for client needs.
- Research tax notices and client requests.
- Help to assure all clients remain compliant from tax perspective.
- Prepare / review tax accounting disclosures for local and group accounts.
- Adhere to company, department, and team standards of professionalism and protocol.
- Learn impactful tax credits for our typical clients, such as R&D Tax Credit studies, ERC studies, etc.
- Collaborate with tax and accounting teams on various projects.
- Stay current on tax legislation changes.
- Effective communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Client service skills and a desire to help others.
- Experience with tax relate items – i.e., experience with filing 1099s, federal and/or state tax preparation, state payroll tax registration process, and/or handling tax notices, etc.
- Working knowledge of tax concepts, reporting, and issues for multistate corporations.
- Strong numerical analysis and data interpretation skills.
- Tax experience a must; further accounting experience a plus.
- Familiarity with tax preparation softwares and QuickBooks Online.
- Research experience on tax related issues such as Nexus.
- Must be available during normal US business hours.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting (completed or almost completed).
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the activities, duties, or responsibilities for this position. Duties, obligations, and activities may evolve or change at any time with or without formal notice.