OpStart provides startups with essential, reliable, and scalable business administration solutions at affordable rates. Our team of back-office professionals partner with the management teams of startup companies to provide financial operations, including accounting, finance, and back-office needs. We give entrepreneurs the freedom to focus on what matters most.
OpStart is a startup itself. Founded in late 2020 in South Bend, IN, we have scaled rapidly in our first 12+ months of operation. Our early investors have founded or backed unicorns like Cameo, Chime, DocuSign, Looker, and more.
OpStart is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All positions are currently remote, and there is no specific requirement around location for placement of this position.
About The Role
As a Client Controller, you will get exposure to a wide range of business models and develop personal relationships with some of the best and brightest innovators in the US. As a Client Controller, you will be a core member of our team and will be the “go to person” for our client entrepreneurs who need help implementing and executing internal business processes. Your role will be a combination of client management and communications, team oversight, performance of monthly accounting tasks and reviews, and problem solving. As a key leadership position, our Client Controllers play an integral role in developing and overseeing our processes and people to assure we maintain an efficient operation internally and a customer centric mindset that assures founders are always informed. If you are an accountant who is an entrepreneur at heart, this is the role for you.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions.
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results.
- Manage client relationships and needs.
- Complete and/or supervise and review close process for various clients monthly.
- Create and analyze financial reports and metrics to communicate client’s results and aid in vital decision-making processes.
- Implement General Ledger, payroll, and billing systems for newly formed entities.
- Lead recurring financial statement review calls with clients.
- Oversee and manage internal team of Accounting Managers and Bookkeepers, including implementing and monitoring processes and work product.
- Supervise internal team responsible for account receivable / accounts payable work on various clients.
- Assist in on-boarding new clients, assessing needs, and establishing client team and work plans per client.
- Assess on-going accounting operations and systems and offer recommendations for improvement.
- Assist with hiring, training, and developing the OpStart accounting team.
- 5+ years of relevant experience (bookkeeping, accounting, financial statements preparation, A/R or A/P, etc.)
- Demonstrative knowledge of QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is a must
- CPA or CMA Certification is a plus
- Familiarity with bill.com, Gusto, Brex, and similar platforms is a plus
- Familiarity with e-commerce, manufacturing and/or inventory accounting is a plus
- Customer centric mindset with a strong desire to help others
- Quick learner and rapid problem solver
- Organized, detail oriented, communicative, efficient and tech-savvy
- Ability to manage processes and people with limited oversight
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with a team of entrepreneurs
Full-Time Employees are eligible to participate in OpStart’s generous benefit programs!
- Flexible Paid Time Off Program
- 401k Plan with company match
- Optional Medical, Dental and Vision programs
- Company provided $25,000 Life and AD&D Insurance Policy
- Monthly work from home stipend
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the activities, duties, or responsibilities for this position. Duties, obligations, and activities may evolve or change at any time with or without formal notice.